Wednesday 14 November 2018

Transitions – A New Collection of Work


I’ve been working on a new series of paintings while in New York, entitled ‘Transitions’. They’ve been produced at my shared studio space that I have at Con Artist Collective, where I’ve also taken part in a group residency show. But what are the paintings about and what was the thought-process behind them? I use this blog as an opportunity to run over the background behind the abstract mark-making.

Inspiration initially started when I spent time in Colombia and experienced first-hand the Venezuelan refugee crisis. Daily, I saw more and more people arriving into the city of Medellin - well over a thousand kilometres away from Venezuela. The mounting horrendity of it all. Overbearing. It got me thinking about movement, changes, leaving home and displacement as a whole. I still haven’t found the right art venture to project my thoughts on the matter, but the situation had me contemplating fluxes in life in general, as I reflected on my own life and the human condition - and ultimately what we all have in common.

Notoriously, we’re all creatures of habits and we don’t often like the disruption of change, especially when imposed on oneself. I explored this with shapes in abstract form and what this resistance would look like through a series of sketches. And then I explored the opposite: natural, seamless transitions taking place – and what this looks like when abstracted into a less literal form.

Painting in the Con Artist Collective studio

Working on Transitions, layer by layer...

Change ultimately happens to all of us; life ensues, things change, it moves, flows, and will continue to do so. And as much as we’re creatures of habits – we’re social creatures too, and we create opportunities through interactions. We’re connected. Each and every one of us. And so we set intentions. Make plans. Our energy is put out into the world. As we set out each day and the sun keeps our time. And of course, the universe, or otherwise, has plans for us.

A lot has changed for me over the last year. Geographically, I’ve been making my way up through the Americas; from South to Central to North America. My relationship to my diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome has changed. It imbues more of my being, as I’ve come to accept it – and even become empowered by it. It’s a part of my identity. Though from birth, but also just 3 years ago. My understanding of Autism has changed, and I’m aware of issues around gender and minority groups, and those in these groups that are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. I’m learning more and more. My style of work has changed. The colours, brushstrokes, approach and general inspirations, as I continue to be influenced by those around me and my general environment.

A montage of the final 6 paintings that form 'Transitions'

These new paintings explore the subtle changes of transformation taking place; these little quirks and nuances that occur gradually. To those greater changes in life. Each painting has been built-up over a number of layers and you can see the colours and lines come through them, as you carefully look on. Changes themselves have taken place within each painting. You can see line, shape, form and colour coming through, and this felt important to capture. The upbeat and vibrant palette is a note and reflection that as human beings, we tend to have a position disposition - whether we believe this about ourselves or not. During hardships and tough times, we often look back and consider the learnings made; what we’ve gained, how our experiences have shaped us. And how we’ll cope better next time. We stock up.

Exhibiting Transitions I and II at the fall residency exhibition in New York

There’s also a great deal of rhythm and rhyme which can be viewed and felt within the paintings. Movement. The black lines show this as they weave in and out; in front of and behind the scenes of life. There are stops and starts. Sometimes it’s stilted. It’s not what we expected. But we keep on. On our path. For come what may. Such is the human spirit. For transitions are here.


If you’d like to see each painting in more detail, please visit the gallery page: https://www.mahliaamatina.com/art-gallery







No comments:

Post a Comment