Tuesday 16 October 2018

Neurodiversity and the Arts - Arts Council Funding received to go to New York!


I am tremendously excited. For just a few days ago, I found out that I was successful in my funding application for the Arts Council’s ‘Developing your Creative Practise’ (DYCP). This is a new piece of funding, which started earlier this year, and gives artists of all forms the opportunity to try something different with their practise - and to ultimately have the opportunity that they wouldn’t otherwise have.



How did I get this, and what were the steps I undertook to create the proposal? Well, this blog will run through my process and hopefully make it clearer to those of your who are also looking to apply for similar funding. One that I would totally encourage, by the way!


So firstly, my artistic aim is to ‘create arts led advocacy work around neurodiversity that openly translates a positive message in impactful yet accessible ways’. I feel that by identifying your goal in the long-term is a great place to start. I then researched and found that to get closer to this objective, I would need to: build new relationships, receive mentorship and collaborate with other autistic artists - in a place that is progressive and leads the way in terms of the neurodiverse arts scene.


Me giving a talk at my autism-friendly and multi-sensory exhibition ‘Around the World in 80 Washing Lines’ 
In terms of the arts and neurodiversity, the United States is considerably advanced and progressive. For instance, it has more art centres and galleries that work with and support neurodiverse artists. Additionally, there is a higher concentration of neurodiverse artists based in the US, especially in/around the state of New York. My findings highlighted that New York City would be an ideal location and base to implement this step change in my working practice.

So, with my goal and location identified, I set to work in terms of researching and identifying potential opportunities. These included, for instance; meeting with influential people (who I emailed and set up meetings with), visiting neurodivergent arts centres (again emailing them to explain I’d be visiting) and the chance to lead workshops with autistic artists (also organised upfront) – all of whom I hope will be my collaborative partners for the next chapter of my artist career. I also researched and found artists who were willing to be my mentors during this time – both an exciting and rare opportunity. You may notice that I emailed and told these people/organisations that I’d be coming to New York. And that’s another key – believing you’re going. This way, the relationship builds regardless – and you’ll already be gaining.

One of the best pieces of advice I have to anyone applying for Arts Council funding is to attend a one-to-one surgery session in your area to meet with an ACE representative to talk your project through with. Having the chance to ask questions that are specific to your project is completely invaluable. You get to hear what the counterargument might be and where your focus should lay – especially when there is a strict character limit to adhere to. This, I believe, has been pinnacle in me writing a strong, focused application.

I also find it helpful to give my form to one or two other people and get their opinion. But just make sure it’s someone who understands you in terms of your artistic goals and your work. And of course; to come back to your application after a few days, or even weeks, after working on it. Like with my paintings – there’s nothing like a fresh set of eyes! Plus, with the way our minds work, they’ll always be thinking and working on the application in the background – very helpful while you crack on with everything else you have to do as an artist 😉

And finally: always get feedback if you don’t receive the grant. Even with this DYCP application – you can still phone up and ask - because it’s this feedback that will enable you to come back stronger next time round. This is what I did last year when I was initially turned down for funding for my #80WashingLines project. And I came back with a mightily amazing application the second time round - and received the funding!

So, let’s see where this opportunity takes me. At the very least it will set me on a journey of exploring my art practise within the context of collaborating and connection-making – all in a direction that is different to my typical art practise, yet still key to my art messaging. I’ll be writing up my findings in regular blog posts, so do please keep coming back to see how I’m getting on.

Until the Big Apple! 😊



No comments:

Post a Comment